Monday, February 2, 2009

Portraits Blog

By: Vincent Van Gogh
Title: (Given title not sure about the actual one) Vincent Van Gogh's Self-Portrait
Country: Paris, France
My First Impressions: When I first looked at this I saw that he looks almost sad and happy, he also has a very perplexing look in his eyes something that I can't quite identify as anger or fear or happiness or anything. He seems almost confused, also I see that he is painted in thick brush strokes and light dainty ones but big thick heavy strokes stand out the most. The look in his eyes and face is something that is made partly with the colors and also with the shadowing. The shadowing makes it hard to see exactly what his face is doing because the shadows say on thing and the image itself say another.
What I learned: I learned that Van Gogh painted somewhere around 30 self portraits in a short span and that of them all this one has a unique color palette containing the entire scheme while others were mostly light and hot colors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment